SPIRITUS Team 8

SPIRITUS Team 8

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Lent and the Transforming Power of Suffering

Far too often in our ministry we come across young people that are deeply and profoundly suffering. They come into retreat with very appropriate and reasonable questions of: “Why do good people have to suffer?” and “You seem so joyful. Why?”

Suffering is such a mystery. I always make sure when these questions arise to remind them that God does not desire us to remain in suffering. He does not want us to be in pain. He is LOVE! There is so much to say, but I want to leave it simply as that. He is love.

Remember to ask Him, most especially in those moments of darkness and despair, “What are you trying to show me?” He is always speaking to us, most intimately in those moments when we are given the grace to share in the cross with Him. Saint Therese quotes “Everything is grace!” Indeed, all of our suffering has the capability of being transformed into a beautiful resurrection.

Abandon all to Him, even the sufferings...most ESPECIALLY the sufferings! He loves you. You are loved. If you are struggling with your Lenten resolutions or maybe haven’t made one yet, let it be this: surrender your miseries, longings, fears, brokenness to Him. Place it at the foot of His cross and allow the Holy Spirit to transform you.

“Although temptations are strong, a whole wave of doubts beats against my soul, and discouragement stands by, ready to act. The Lord, however, strengthens my will, against which all attempts of the enemy are shattered as if against a rock. I see how many actual graces God grants me; these support me ceaselessly. I am very weak, and I attribute everything to the grace of God.” (1086, page 406) -St. Faustina

-Alexa Harbor



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment! We appreciate hearing from you!