SPIRITUS Team 8

SPIRITUS Team 8

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Master it is good that we are here!

I sometimes wonder what it must have been like to be one of the disciples following Jesus on simply a normal day, one of those days that aren’t recorded in the Bible.  I ponder in anticipation, as I think to myself and my companions “Is Jesus going to share another new sign today?”   But what if it is a day where it appears as if nothing extraordinary is going to happen?  Perhaps today we are just to walk where Jesus wants to, and maybe not even hear Him speak?  Do we walk in silence then? Perhaps, or as the day goes on and it appears that there will not be an extraordinary sign, I find myself speaking with those around me; we are discussing the extraordinary thing we saw Jesus do just the other day.  Sometimes though I find that after such conversation, I am disappointed that nothing seems to be happening today!  But just when the day appears to be complete, Jesus stops and motions to the sky.  He has led us to a clearing so we might catch a glimpse of the simple yet majestic sunset reminding us all of the glory of creation.
                On those days when we are not on retreat here at SPIRITUS, I find it much the same.  Since we are not on retreat it seems we will not witness Jesus encountering and healing a young person that day; as we often do when on retreat.  Usually then we are excitedly talking about the most recent retreat, and one such encounter, amongst ourselves before seeing to our daily preparation and duties.  That often leaves me then left to walk where Jesus wants to the rest of that day, and strangely some days it seems I find myself disappointed.  The other day was one such day.  But as I was finishing entering responses from the young people from one of the retreats I had helped lead, I came across one last comment.  In response to what would you tell others about the retreat, one young person had written this, “I wish I didn’t have to leave.” 
This comment led me to Peter’s words during Jesus’s transfiguration on Mount Tabor, “Lord it is good that we are here.”  So much so Peter wanted to build tents, safe meeting places, for Jesus, Elijah, and Moses.  At the end of walking with Jesus that day, he pointed out to me how He provides this safe meeting place, or tent, for young people during SPIRITUS retreats that I and my teammates are so blessed to be a part.
-Zachery


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment! We appreciate hearing from you!