SPIRITUS Team 8

SPIRITUS Team 8

Friday, February 26, 2016

Thoughts on Lent...

Hey everyone!

I hope everybody's Lenten Resolutions are going quite well! Speaking of which, it is very important to be evaluating our choices regarding our offering(s) for Lent. Remember, it is never too late to make changes or start a new Lenten Resolution. Here are some questions to ask yourself as you are already a few weeks into these forty days:

- Is this task too easy?
  We definitely want to find something we can do on a regular basis that will hurt a little when we give. If you never have chocolate around your house or already give a good sum of money to an organization, these offerings maybe aren't enough.

- Is it practical or unreasonable?
  Can you do this in your everyday life or are you going to burn out? Fasting and/or abstinence from food or certain foods for a day can be a great idea, but if it is     making you very irritable, or hurting yourself (especially if you are on a special diet already), it may be best to rethink your resolution. Talk to a priest or close friend!

- Am I holding myself accountable?
   If not, find an accountability buddy, set a reminder on your phone, give yourself consequences if you don't follow through 

- Is the task simple enough, yet specific enough to follow through with?
   I started off this Lent using St. Therese sacrifice beads by doing little acts of kindness every day or putting off receiving a treat for a certain amount of time, then I would then count these small acts up on beads. However, I found that, for example, I would give myself a bead per hour I would abstain from eating a cookie then would give myself one bead for hand washing all of the dishes made that day. It was very inconsistent and not specific enough. 

-Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment! We appreciate hearing from you!