SPIRITUS Team 8

SPIRITUS Team 8

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

The Face of Jesus






This rug is found in front of the altar at Camp Tekakwitha and Fr. Gary would take care to walk around the image making sure not to set foot on Jesus's face. He explained how in Shogun Japan days persecuted Christians were discovered by being invited into a home with a similar rug, and if they were to walk across the face then they were recanting or were not Christian, but those who purposefully avoided walking on Jesus's face in reverence and respect to the Lord, were arrested immediately. In respect and honor of these martyrs he likewise would avoid setting foot on the face of Christ.



As I look at this image of Jesus, I am reminded of an invitation that has been growing in my heart during my time with SPIRITUS.  The invitation to see the face of Jesus in the face of everyone I meet each day.  When I am on retreat with students I am also looking Jesus in the eyes.  When I share meals with my brothers and sisters here at SPIRITUS, I am sharing a meal with Christ.  When I share a passing smile out in the local communities, Jesus smiles back at me.  It is this invitation to love Jesus in all my neighbors, that has been a daily blessing and grace and I pray that I will continue to want to see You, Lord Jesus in every human face, hidden perhaps but truly there.  I want to make every act to them a service done for You.  Finally, this invitation to gaze into the face of Jesus each and every day is not just for me but for everyone!

-Zach

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment! We appreciate hearing from you!