SPIRITUS Team 8

SPIRITUS Team 8

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Life Matters

Friends,
The March for Life is tomorrow, January 22nd. This is the 42nd March for Life and it has now been 41 years since abortion was enshrined into law in the United States.

How is this year different? One third of my generation was killed through abortion, and it's still happening every day... and I still live day to day as if everything is fine. I have my petty arguments and pointless worries and silly miscommunications... and children are dying.

On SPIRITUS, we understand how important prayer is, and we pray every day for an end to abortion and for peace and healing for those poor women (and men!) who feel like they have no other option and have chosen or have considered choosing abortion. We pray for the poor and the sick and the hurting and the underprivileged and the forgotten.

Prayer is certainly the most powerful thing we can do to change the mentality of the culture. In the oft-repeated words of Pope Blessed Pius IX, “Give me an army saying the rosary and I will conquer the world.”

But praying isn’t enough. Just like in every part of our lives, prayer should spill over into action. We on SPIRITUS are unfortunately too busy (and poor!) to march in DC, but we got to participate in the send-off Mass at St Pius X in Appleton last night. What a glorious celebration for life!

What else can each of us do? Many blessed souls pray outside of abortion clinics, and that is an especially large sacrifice for those of you crazy enough to live in Wisconsin for years on end. Many write their congressmen and other government officials for the respect for all human life. Many serve at soup kitchens and shelters. Some visit the sick and imprisoned. Some teach young people the Gospel of peace and charity.

I chose three years ago to stop drinking all beverages besides water (and the Blood of Christ at Mass) until abortion ends. I’ve received reactions all over the board when I tell people. Some tell me I have an incredible commitment; some pretend what I said was ordinary. Some believe I will be drinking hot chocolate and sweet tea again within 10-20 years. Others are certain I am foolish because I will never drink anything besides water again. Some others ask me why I have to do something so overt and tell me I’m just trying to attract attention to myself.

Friends, I don’t care what you do to bring awareness and change to the lack of respect for human life in our world today. But each of us is responsible for doing something. More importantly, each of us is responsible for not backing down. Whatever you do, it isn’t insignificant.

SPIRITUS teaches me this every day. There is nothing insignificant. Because every decision has the capacity to bring you or others closer to God. Everything matters. Every person matters. Every moment matters. Live life like it matters.
(full blog post may be found here)

- sam
@TheAfroSam
facebook.com/TheAfroSam
spiritussam@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment! We appreciate hearing from you!