SPIRITUS Team 8

SPIRITUS Team 8

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Don’t Pet the Sweaty Stuff

Living in community is hard.  For anyone who has ever grown up in a family (almost all of us), you know this.  Many times, we take each other for granted, do the little things that we know will push the buttons of the people we live with, and become possessive about what’s mine.  We so often get caught up inside ourselves and our own worries or aspirations, that we don’t leave time or space for the others in our lives.  
Five days before I came to Wisconsin for SPIRITUS, a very dear friend of mine died unexpectedly.  When I first came to SPIRITUS, I was in a very deep state of mourning, and struggling through my own stages of grief.  Yet, even from the beginning, the not-yet-formed community of SPIRITUS Team 6 was there for me, ready to help me carry my burdens and provide companionship along the way.  
As we continue further into the year and become more comfortable with our new living/working situation and each other, we sometimes get caught up in the day-to-day little things, and lose sight of the mission to which God calls us: To love each other and help bring each other closer to Him.  
To satisfy my own curiosity, I am currently reading the book The Five Love Languages, by Dr. Gary Chapman.  In this book, Dr. Chapman discusses what he believes to be the five ways that fill peoples’ ‘love tanks’: Words of Affirmation, Quality Time, Gifts, Acts of Service, and Physical Touch.  Reading this book has brought me much insight as I’ve discovered new ways to show my teammates how much I care for them in a way that reaches their hearts and lets them be loved the way they need to be loved.  
What does all I’ve written have to do with each other?  A few days ago, I discovered an unread message in my inbox from my friend who died just before I came to SPIRITUS.  When I opened the message, I was able to relive some of our conversations from 2006 until his death.  As I was reminiscing, one of my teammates invited me to Adoration, which I accepted.   While at Adoration, I realized that I have received the gift of presence (which is the best gift someone can give to a person whose love language is gifts) from not only some friends from back home, but from my teammates as well.  Even though we struggle with each other, we struggle together.  When issues come up, we have to respect—literally “to look again”at—each other, and assume goodwill.  We have to believe there is good in the world.  Finally, as my uncle told me, we need to remember: “Don’t sweat the petty stuff, and don’t pet the sweaty stuff.” ☺  
Peace!
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment! We appreciate hearing from you!