SPIRITUS Team 8

SPIRITUS Team 8

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Four Words

As I near the end of my time here on SPIRITUS (12 days!) it's hard not to reflect on all that's happened. It's been an amazing experience and I'm all the better for it but the question that comes to mind is how do I know I'm all the better for it? How does the girl who arrived in Wisconsin back in August compare to the girl now about to get back on that plane and head home 9 months later? Well, it all comes down to four words:

"I'll pray for you." 

Yes, measuring my 9 months of growth is actually as simple as those four words. Nine months ago I was in a place where my faith was very private in a sense. I wasn't someone who would go around starting conversations about it and definitely would not have been as bold (at least in my mind) as to say "I'll pray for you." Now reflecting back, I can actually see the stages of my growing confidence and ability to talk about this area of my life through my use of these four words.

Stage 1: Teammates- This was an easy one because they were all saying it so there was really no chance of them feeling uncomfortable about it.

Stage 2: Brother- This one took a little more "courage" because he's at a different place with his faith right now and I wasn't sure if he would feel annoyed with me or think I was pushing my faith on him. He responded with a thanks so turns out it didn't start a big confrontation. Who would have thought haha

Stage 3: Catholic Friends- One of my friends experienced a death in her family and while using these four words was a new step for us I knew it was something that needed to be said and not just done. I think it caught her off guard a little at first but even so I realized that nothing bad was going to come from me saying it.

Stage 4: Students on Retreat- They expected us to be these "super religious" people so it wouldn't have been weird for them to hear it but even so it scared me to be vulnerable with them in this way. One retreat I said it to one of the girls I had prayed 1-on-1 with as she was leaving. She stopped mid-tracks, turned around, and said "Thank you! That deserves a hug" and gave me a huge hug with tears in her eyes. This was the first moment I truly saw how powerful those four words could be.

Stage 5: Non Catholic Friends- This scared me a lot because I really had no idea how they would react to it but when one friend was dealing with a terrible illness in her family I didn't think twice about it. A month or so later things took a turn for the worse and she actually reached out to me ASKING for prayers. This astonished me but also melted my heart. I was so thankful that she felt comfortable coming to me to ask for this. I again realized the impact these four simple words could have.

Stage 6: Strangers- I never thought I'd see the day when I would tell a complete stranger that I'd pray for them. Well that day came about a week ago. I went to get my haircut and the hairdresser and I got into a conversation about what I do which got her to ask even more questions about my faith and the likes. By the end of the appointment we had had a great conversation. Right after paying I mustered up the courage to tell her I'd pray for her. She looked a little taken aback at first but then her face softened and she seemed genuinely pleased. It was a great moment where I realized that doing and saying things in genuine sincerity are more thank likely not going to offend people.

All in all these 9 months have been full of amazing growth and I could not be more thankful for God leading me here! Know that I am praying for all you blog readers both now and future. Never underestimate the power of prayer and the power of those four simple words, "I'll pray for you." :) God Bless!

3 comments:

  1. What a blessing, Honey, to follow you on your blog! I know how excited your Mass. family & friends are to soon have you home, & wish I could be there as part of your welcome. For sure we'll keep posted & I have a lot of new news to share over the phone - hooray!! No, I'm not pregnant ha ha. I love you, Sweetheart, & am so very proud of you and your goals in faith while your life's mission unfolds. My love & blessings always, your Nana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for all the support, Nana :) Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, it's very apparent that your experience with Spiritus has deeply touched you. Thank you for sharing the 6 stages above, even those show a depth of growth in the Holy Spirit. As one of the connections on our parish prayer chain, praying for one another becomes more specific, although I am sometimes guilty of just passing on the name and not immediately saying that prayer. At a Marriage on Tap program last weekend we were challenged to stop right then and there when someone asks us to pray for them. Good advice - I'm sure you've already taken it to heart and put it into practice. Keep up the good work as you move to the next phase in life. God bless you and I'll start praying now for safe travel home.
    Love, Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment! We appreciate hearing from you!